Tomato Dal / Tomato Pappu
Tomato - 2 (Medium-size)
Tuvar dal - 1 cup
Ginger-garlic paste - 1/2 tsp
Salt as per taste
Red-chilli powder (as required)
Green-chilles - 5 to 6
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Tamarind paste - 1/2 tsp
Water - 1 cup
1. Clean the dal. Add tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, cumin seeds, water,green-chilles and turmeric powder.Pressure cook the dal for 3 to 4 whistels or until the dal is cooked.
2. Once it is cooked, add tamarind paste, salt and red chilli powder according to your taste buds.
3. Now take a small pan for tempering. Add some oil, add all the ingredients under tempering. Once they are turning brown , add to the above dal.
4. Now cook the dal for 2 to 3 minutes on a medium heat. Serve with roti or rice of ur choice.
1. Some people like the tempering with ghee.
2. You can avoid the tamarind paste, if the tomatoes are too tangy.